[Spridgets] What is still there?

guy.weller at tiscali.co.uk guy.weller at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Nov 15 11:03:57 MST 2007

They work best at intermediate traffic volumes. Too much traffic and
they snarl up with lots of stopping and starting.  But at the right
traffic flows it is like finely choreographed dance! There is a lot of
adjustment of speed, both of those already on the roundabout and those
approaching, lane discipline is important so one can predict which
route through the roundabout other drivers are taking. At good times
there is also a lot of opportunity for courtesy between drivers to keep
the whole system moving.
Just counting, there are 7 in my local town, population about 35,000.
On a couple of occasions I have met cars coming the wrong way round,
but no accidents resulted.

I once also met a car coming the wrong way on a motorway. It was
night, traffic was moving fast, 70 to 90mph and then there were
headlights approaching in the "fast" lane.  Lots of braking and
swerving but amazingly no serious accidents.  Turned out it was an
elderly driver who had stoped at a service station, got confused and re-
entered the motorway on the wrong slip road.  She ended up travelling
about 12 miles before the police turned up , boxed her in and forced
her to a halt.

Guy

<dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com>, "Bill L"<pythias at pacifier.com>, "Spridget
List"<spridgets at autox.team.net>