[Spridgets] Rusty RIP

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Thu Nov 8 20:12:27 MST 2007

After work tonight 4:30, I started ripping into Rusty.
In 10 minutes the hood, boot lid, fenders, seats, and front apron were
out for trash. Then it was dinner time. Just before dinner the scrap
metal guy pulled up and loaded all of the above. He took some old rims
and bits from the 67 too.
After dinner and a couple of phone calls, I took out the engine and some
other bits people on the list wanted. By 8:30 I started cutting, then
Jim called, then I finished cutting the front end off, I need to unbolt
the rack for Jim and I can't throw out the shox, Peter will get them.
By 9;15 my last sawzall blade broke and I was on my 6th Gook Electric
light bulb, what's up with bulbs these days? I never moved the drop
light and went thru 6 bulbs in 4 hours! GE USED to bring good things to
light, now it's cheap chink made bulbs that last 5 minutes each.
Anyway, engine trans out, steering column out, front end off the car
sort of, and I got 1/2 way thru the tunnel when my blade snapped.
OK, I wasn't real neat with this but I did yank the engine in about 15
minutes, it took that long to drain the coolant and tranny oil while I
was wrenching. I can't understand why some people plan a weekend to do
things like drop the gas tank or pull an engine.
On the cold winter nights ahead I will rebuild this engine for my 67.
It's still around 40* so I can slap bondo and taco bell wrappers on the
67 til it gets cold out then rip into the engine. Or maybe rip into the
engine while the bondo is drying.
You saw the pics last night, It takes me an hour to figure out how to
get the pics from the camera to the internet, so what you see is less
than 5 hours work. 1 sawzall blade, 2 cut off wheels, and a bloody knuckle.

http://home.comcast.net/~spritenut/rusty8.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~spritenut/rusty9.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~spritenut/rusty10.jpg
--