[Spridgets] roll bars

derf derf247 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 15:54:13 MDT 2007

A good 4 point bar made from 1.75 X .120 tubing will hold up.
Here's a pic of a rolled Miata:
http://www.miata.hu/contentimg/rollbar.jpg
Here are some testimonials from the maker of good roll bars:
http://www.bethania-garage.com/testimonials_story.htm
Unfortunately, they don't make bars for Spridgets.

I know it is not a Spridget but it is a similarly sized car and the bars can
be similar.  Some twin hoop "style bars" are cheap but are also known as
"rat traps" for what they do in certain roll over situations.
Bolt in is good enough if you use good grade 5 or 8 hardware and good
backing plates.  Backing plates should be at least 3/16 thick.
I think the ones that are sold by the usual suspects (VB and Mo$$) are OK
and much better than nothing if you do roll over.

If anyone did roll a Spridget (or Miata) without a roll bar they probably
would not be around to comment on the experience.  Neither car is easy to
roll and when they do roll they are usually going fast and are usually hit
by something else.
Cheers,
Derf