[Spridgets] Driving diffs

Daniel1312 at aol.com Daniel1312 at aol.com
Wed Jun 27 15:16:05 MDT 2007

Get first hand practical experience first and then you know for yourself
there is marked difference.  Get a lot of experience and you'll find that whether
it's a ZF, Gripper, Trannex or whatever clutch plate diff they are all much of
a muchness.  Get some experience of a Torsen, a Quaife and a Phantom Grip and
you'll see that they are a different kind of a much of a muchness.

I'haven't found a ZF site with the info I am looking for but now I have a
printer/scanner I might get chance oneday to scan some info I have if I can find
the info.

The welded diff acts a lot like a Torsen/Quaife only it doesn't care if you
have zero grip such as when you lift a wheel. If you drive it on the street one
wheel will skip or snatch and if there is no background noise you can hear
this - a car at the Autocross at Sprite Spree 2003 had a welded diff and I could
hear a wheel skip when it turned slowly.  A trained ear can guesstimate the
setup ratio of a diff - I heard speculation of this nature 3-4 years ago when
the LeMans Bentley was driven out of the pit lane garage.

Regards

Daniel1312