[Spridgets] Diffs again, if I may

David Riker davriker at digitalpath.net
Wed Jun 27 13:14:16 MDT 2007

I won't talk about what I don't know, but about what I do know.  Chevrolet
Trucks use a differential made by Eaton called a G80 Locker.  They have a
demonstration trailer with rollers on one side to simulate loss of traction
on that side.  They then drive Toyotas, Fords, Dodges, and Nissans up the
trailer.  As soon as the trucks hit the rollers, they stop moving and the
wheel on the side of the rollers spins uncontrollably.  All of those trucks
claim to have a "limited slip differential".  Only the Chevrolet with the
Eaton locker continue to climb the trailer.  So from what I've seen, unless
it is actually a "locking differential"  all the torque sensing BS is just
that..... BS.  As soon as there is 0 traction, ie a broken axle, a wheel off
the ground, etc, nothing is going to happen.  The Eaton system uses
centrifugal force of the spinning wheel to lock the two axles together when
slip is encountered.  All the rest are smoke and mirrors.
David Riker
davriker at digitalpath.net
http://community.webshots.com/user/fool4mg
http://www.myspace.com/fool4mg