[Spridgets] BHF and Sussex, WI show, now Blackhawk

Wm. Severin Thompson wsthompson at thicko.com
Mon Jun 18 07:40:56 MDT 2007

Yeah Larry... what was missing was talent... but that's nothing new.

It was so f'in hot... even wearing a cool suit (pumps ice water thru a
t-shirt with capillary tubes in it) I was hoping for the 1 lap to go flag at
least 10 laps before the end of Saturday's enduro or Sunday's AM feature
race. The older I get, the less I can take that kind of heat.

Elmo correctly diagnosed a faulty cap on my radiator's expansion tank. I did
actually finish 2 lengthy sessions, which is a break with recent tradition.
I'm running what is essentially by "backup" motor. It needs a better
cylinder head. My cam choice wasn't the best. It's a Comptune grind with the
power band a little too high... not enough grunt coming out of the corners.
Colby uses that particular grind for his 1275/1380 race motors, but the 948
doesn't have enough torque to pull it off. I'll find one of my normal 75-12
Elgin cams, or maybe use a factory race 649 cam I've got here to use in this
motor.

Between the 96 degree heat Sat., and 5 year old race tires (I had to stop
and think when I bought them, and it was the first time I ran Mid-Ohio), my
handling was going away after 3 laps. I managed to pass enough cars to make
the races satisfying, but I couldn't push it very hard. There was a blue
Alpine that I managed to catch, but couldn't pass. I'm not sure, but Burt
Levy may have been mooching a ride in it. The car was taking a peculiar
line, which, since its rear wheel drive, may be the right line for the car.
But, twice I was even with it on the inside of the corner, and had the door
slammed on me, putting me in the grass. I backed off, and watch Jack Drews
suffer the same fate as he tried to pass the Alpine. I saw him put in the
grass at least twice. I knew that even if I did get by, with my shit tires,
it would be a nut pull to stay ahead.

Ron and Jeff were going like stink. You've got to give credit to Jeff for
his bullet proof car prep. He rarely has to mess with the car. Ron's car
definitely has been to the horsepower store, and he's driving it like he
stole it. Ron had clutch/trans issues, but kept it running all weekend. Mal
Fay ran all weekend. John "big rig" Bauer kept shedding expensive race axles
like James Bond's DB5 Aston Martin, with the axle sticking out the side of
the car (dangerously). John hasn't figured out that double bearings are the
key to success.

John Spinnader's car made the track after some wrenching to get his head
gasket and head studs to seal correctly.

Chris "No Show" Ducklow didn't make Sunday's race due to a failed clutch.

Paul "Otis" Fitzsimmons had brake issues and didn't get much track time.

Tony Donato helped with food and car prep. Its always good to se him. Elmo's
car filled its Oberg filter with sparkly bearing dust, and his race weekend
was over. But, his troubles weren't over. They packed up and left the track
at 9pm, after the party. They didn't get home until 5am due to a failed leaf
spring on his trailer. It shredded a tire, and tore up the spring mounts on
the frame. Jim ended up strapping a block of wood to the axle and limping
home.

Our feature race was at 10:20, and we were all packed up and ready to go
right after the race. We were home by 2, which, after all that heat, was
home sweet (air conditioned) home.

WST
(VSCDA rule rant forthcoming)

Yeah, Ed, why didn't you stick around?  We had plenty of adult beverages.
<VBG>

Flounder's "Thicktones" serenaded us until we couldn't stand it any
longer -- even with mass quantities of Miller Lite.  His "Big Dog", Hoss,
wasn't there to take over lead vocals this time.  We all knew something was
missing.

LD