[Spridgets] A couple questions

Robert Weeks lists at woozy.com
Fri Jun 15 11:41:05 MDT 2007

Hopefully tomorrow I'm going to have a small window of time to work on
the Midget to try to get it back on the road after a week of being off
the road.

Last Friday afternoon it was really hot out here (in the hight 90's) and
I was driving along at 55 mph when the engine cut out on me. The few
other times that has happened I've been able to find the cause and get
back on the road quickly but no such luck this time.

It appears that there is no spark. I had a crane fireball hooked up to a
45D4. I took the 45D4 out and reverted back to the original 25D4 with
points & condenser. This didn't help. I replaced the coil, still no luck.

It's hard to tell (for me anyway) what's going on with this circuit in
the Prospero diagram. Are there any connectors in this circuit that
could have come loose other than the connections to the coil and the
dizzy? The car had started up like a dream 5 minutes earlier, just one
turn of the key and it fired right up. Its hard to imagine what happened
in those five minutes that would have caused the complete loss of spark
other than the usual suspects which I've already swapped out (dizzy
rotor, cap, coil). The connections to the solenoid are all good and the
car cranks fine.

I noticed one other thing when I was trying to get it started in the
heat last Friday; there are three connections on the front SU float
cover. One attaches to the fuel line from the gas tank, another one
attaches to a line that runs to the rear carb but in between there is
another nipple that doesn't hook up to anything. When I cranked the
engine in the heat, gas pumped out of this nipple. When I tried to start
it at home another day no gas pumped out of it. What is this nipple for
and is it supposed to do what it was doing?

Thanks,

Robert