[Spridgets] half shaft retainer

Marc smarc at smarc.net
Sun Jun 10 10:55:21 MDT 2007

Is it safe to come out now? ;-)

Without debating the relative merits of various fastener types, I'm
still not clear on the original thing I asked about, namely what keeps
the half shafts in place!

As far as I can see, when we removed the wheel, then the brake drum had
one screw holding it to the half shaft, right? Brake shoes & springs
were removed, then finally the wheel cylinder. As my son was removing
the wheel cylinder, he snagged the half shaft flange which slid out a
few inches...

So here's what I don't get - since the wheel lugs are in the half shaft
flange, what holds the whole thing (road wheel, brake drum & half shaft)
in place?

Marc