[Spridgets] 71 Midget windshield wiper gearbox

Phil Jones philip.s.jones at comcast.net
Thu Jun 7 17:20:07 MDT 2007

Well, it's been a while since I posted, but my favorite recent line has been "don't be a whining jackass".  Thanks Derf!  That's a good one.

Now for the LBC content:  I took my underutilized 71 Midget out for a drive in the rain the other day; and noticed that the center of my three wipers was moving through a larger arc (more degrees of rotation) than the other two.  A few years ago, I completely rebuilt the car; and think I  remember replacing one of the gearboxes.  My first thought was that I must have; and that the replacement gearbox must have a different ratio than the original ones.

Any comments on that?  Do some years' wiper gearboxes have different ratios?  Maybe there is a specific ratio for each wiper position?  A bozo installation error?

Just in case that's not enough to prompt a response:  I have a democratic cat that likes guns. guinness, craftsman tools, cast aluminum wheel chocks and naked ladies.  And my delete key works fine.

Thank in advance for your insightful replies.