[Spridgets] Spridgets?

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Fri Jul 27 10:11:53 MDT 2007

> Since there was not an MG Midget equivalent of the Bugeye body style
> (although MG had the 948 engine in a squarebody),  I would maintain  that
> Bugeyes are
> only to be referred to as Sprites.  But they are  within the spridget
> family.

Matt,
See, we agree to disagree. I maintain that "Spridget" is an inclusive term
to cover all Sprites from 1958 to 1971 and all Midgets from 1961 to 1979.
There are many little variations from year to year as well as a number of
differences it trim from Sprites to Midgets. In general, Midgets were
supposed to be a little more plush than the Sprites. They were built on the
same assembly lines by the same people out of the same parts. Derf was a
little off with the springs, however. The Sprite Marks I and II and the
Midgets Mark I all had quarter-elliptic rear springs; everything after that
was semi-elliptic.

There are any number of things peculiar to the Bugeye/Frogeye/Crabeye
Sprite. If you want concours, you had better start looing NOW for the parts
you are missing. If you want a driver, many of the later parts will work
just fine.
David Lieb