[Spridgets] bugeye fuel gauge sending unit

Weber, Chris cweber at advanced-input.com
Mon Jul 23 14:32:57 MDT 2007

I know I either have a bad fuel gauge or sending unit or both.

Measuring the resistance across the sending units gives me 2 ohms at empty and
66 ohms at full.  This seems bad but I have gotten conflicting information on
what is correct here.  I have read the range should be 10-100 ohms and also
have read 15-250 ohms.

I'd like to know the correct range expected is someone could fill me in.  Has
anyone had any luck rebuilding/repairing one?  Doesn't seem like anything
there to break as far as resistance values changing.  I would think that it
would either work or not at all.

How about the fuel gauge.  Any way to verify if it is working properly.  I
understand the basic troubleshooting mentioned in the manuals but what I
wonder about is between empty and full.  Mine would only vary between = and =
which I suspect is a result of the sending unit but would like to be sure.

I guess one could place high power resistors in line with the sending unit
wire to see if the needle is at expected points.  Of course I would need to
know the correct resistance range.

Thanks!

Chris

'60 Bugeye