[Spridgets] Making Progress!

Marc smarc at smarc.net
Sun Jul 15 23:26:32 MDT 2007

Well, my midget project is getting there...

As of today it's got a new water pump, all new hoses, new fan belt.

I got a complete intake and dual HS2 set up off ebay. Actually pretty
nice, quite clean, they had new floats, jets, & new needle valves, but
they were of the Grose  jet type. I've heard bad stuff about Grose jets,
but no first hand experience. Seems like the carbs must have been
shipped with the dashpot oil still in them cause it was everywhere.
Cleaned 'em up, went to check float hight. Plastic floats, don't appear
to be any adjustment - do you need to shim the valves to adjust?

I got them bolted on, linkage more or less adjusted, and plumbed. The
car doesn't have the proper fuel pump - it's an aftermarket type that
develops too much pressure. The needle valves in the SU's aren't up to
the task. But I let the bowls fill up, then disconnected the pump. Gave
it some choke and cranked it and it started right up, idled pretty smooth.

Car was desmogged when I got it. I'm unsure how to plumb the bits that
are left. I have a small canister (oil separator?) that comes off the
timing cover. There is a hose from that that went to the air cleaner on
the weber, which is not connected to anything now. There is a hose from
the rocker cover that hangs below the car like a road draft tube...

The charcoal cannister is missing, although I think I have one around
the shop somewhere. The vent line from the fuel tank to the cannister is
not connected to anything. Finally, the vent lines from the carbs are
not connected to anything.

--
Marc