[Spridgets] Grease in Steering rack...

Marc smarc at smarc.net
Sun Jul 1 20:00:39 MDT 2007

More on the tight steering rack issue  - Last time I worked on this
problem, I had disconnected the tie rod ends from the steering arms to
see if that was making the steering bind. It wasn't.

I had to remove the radiator to gain access to the nut on the top left
of the rack. I loosened the nut up to see if the rack would loosen up.
It didn't.

I pulled the boots, and found grease. Not a lot, but I can tell it has
been greased. Pulling the small bolt out of the nut there was a dollop
of grease on it. My assumption is there is supposed to be 90 weight gear
oil in there. I really really really do not want to remove the rack - is
it possible to clean it up without removal? If thats not possible or
practical, what should I clean it with?

And I thought I was going to do a simple brake job and have it on the
road...

--
Marc