[Spridgets] primers....thinking out loud

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Mon Dec 31 08:48:24 MST 2007

Thanks, Frank.  Keeping in mind that this discussion is for the
underside, only; I've already got the dust situation well under control.
The general consensus is that the PPG product can/has been successfully
used with just a good "solvent wash".  My solvents of choice are Dupont
3919S, followed by lacquer thinner.
Re: the body filler over self-etching primers.....I've long since
mis-placed the instruction/data sheet for Variprime, so I have no way to
confirm that.  However, I'm going to follow your recommendation and stay
away from the self-etching primer (even though I won't be using any body
filler on the underside).
As far as base-clear vs. single stage is concerned, I'm not real
concerned with duplicating the original finish, and I've been very happy
with the two base coat-clear coat lacquer paint jobs I've done, as
opposed to acrylic enamel, or single stage lacquer.  Since this one will
be Glacier White, I'm fairly comfortable with future repairs, given
white's wonderful ability to hide repairs/imperfections.  Also, this is
a "driver", first and formost, so I'm not concerned about a few paint
chips gained from hard driving ;)
The guy I learned painting from, years (now decades !!!) ago, has been
urging me to try the new acrylic enamels (or whatever they've been
replaced with) since 1990.  However, I have found the acrylic lacquer to
be durable enough for my purposes, as well as MUCH easier to live with
in my workshop (clean-up issues, primarily).  So, until the enviro-nazis
pry the acrylic lacquer out of my cold, dead hands (or I can no longer
find the stuff); I'm stickin' with it.
Bud Osbourne