[Spridgets] Entitlements

Robert Bruce Evans b-evans at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 22 14:17:28 MST 2007

Jim Johnson wrote:  "As a 41 year federal employee, I paid into the retirement"

But do Federal employees pay retroactively for "enhancements" added during their employment?

"I sure haven't seen much lavish spending at the VA hospitals."

THAT is not an entitlement. It is *discretionary* and can be changed from year to year. One of the problems with VA hospitals is that Congress has opened them to veterans NEVER injured on duty, even if they only made it through boot camp.
The VA home loan program doesn't cost the tax payer much at all since all it does is guarantee the veteran's loan - the vet still pays a mortgage just like everyone else.
But if the veteran defaults, the Government guarantees pay the full balance to the lender.
I hold that we owe our veterans*something* because they sure don't get much in the pay envelope. Remember, a veteran is someone who writes a blank check to the rest of us for an amount up to and including their life.... What monetary value do you put on that?
I know others do not agree, but my belief is that the people of the United States never owed me a cent for the four years I spent in the service to *my* country.--- We may have been destitute when I was in college, but at least I stood by *my personal principles.

Finally, people pay into - read: *purchase* - Medicare and Social Security.--- But, as I pointed out to Dave G., they Government grants the same entitlement to people who never paid into the system, and *confiscates* the money of those who did not work sufficient quarters!
Buster
,_._,___