[Spridgets] Driving Schools

Guy Weller guy.weller at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 02:29:22 MST 2007

I learn't to drive in a car that had no sychromesh
on any gears, and the first 4 cars that I owned
all had no non synchro gears. So I learn't a full
double de-clutch routine.  But I very rarely use
it these days. Even done by well practised drivers
it is just too slow. It has no benefit at all with
a syncho gearbox and is certaiinly not
recommended.
However, one should accurately adjust the revs
part way through the change on a down-shift and
some people mistake this for double de-clutching.
This is far easier with heel-and-toe, but even
this is a bit of a misnomer in a Spridget. The
action is  using the outer edge of the foot (not
one's  heel) on the throttle, whilst breaking with
the ball of the foot.

Guy