[Spridgets] I'll stir the pot up (no LBC)

Wm. Severin Thompson wsthompson at thicko.com
Tue Dec 11 14:20:14 MST 2007

So, I've got a summer place over at Green Lake. I was built in '59 as a
summer place. never intended as a year 'round home. My folks bought it in
'68. About 10 years ago, my folks gave it to my siblings and I. That didn't
work out so well, (predicted that) and I bought it from my siblings.

The place has a 220v baseboard heater, and a propane wall furnace. Years
ago, natural gas was not available there, but within the last few years, it
has become available. I looked into getting natural gas to the house. a
fairly inexpensive installation, as they charge $4 a foot to get it to the
house, and it's right across the street.

But, here's the kicker. (welcome to Wisco, your idiots in Madison in
action). All homes built before something like 1979 have to have an "energy
audit" before they'll sell natural gas to you. In order to qualify, I'd have
to replace all windows, replace any wall insulation, new doors, insulate the
floor, etc.

So, I could have a 15,000 sq ft home with one person living in it, heated to
80F as long as it meets their energy audit requirements. They're happy to
take that money.but to get natural gas service to extend my lake house
season a month or two, I'll have to drop about $30,000 in the house.

Arrggghhh

Wm. Severin Thompson

~iii<O

 <mailto:wsthompson at thicko.com> wsthompson at thicko.com

 <http://www.thicko.com/> www.thicko.com

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/png which had a name of image001.png]