[Spridgets] CARS OF THE 50'S & 60'S

Robert Bruce Evans b-evans at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 7 08:42:18 MST 2007

Larry Daniels wrote:  "CARS OF THE 50'S & 60'S, a fantastic productionFor all of my fellow geezers on the lists:  Cars of the 50's & 60's"

I hate to throw cold water on this wonderful piece of nostalgia, but these were certainly not the cars "we" drove in the 50's and 60's.  The reality was that unless our parents had the bucks to give their kids or co-sign loans, we simply could not afford to have most of these cars, especially in that condition.  Remember, most of those guys shown in the photos of the Carlsbad drag strip (which is still going strong) were much older (older than even Paul and me), and are long gone now.

Those beautiful cars you see were either new (and therefore out of our price range), or the products of wistful guys who today put their very souls into the restoration of these beauties.   No, the abject reality is that we drove 39 or 41 Chevies or 46 Fords just before they moved on to the jalopy derbies where wanton destruction was the name of the game.

But to see them today?  Oh, the wonderful memories that come rushing back as if it were yesterday.

Buster Evans
Once upon a time, there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two.
Remember how we laughed away the hours,
Think of all the great things we would do?
Chorus:
Those were the days, my friend!
We thought they'd never end.
We'd sing and dance forever and a day.
We'd live the life we'd choose.
We'd fight and never lose.
For we were young and sure to have our way!
Di di di di

Then, the busy years went rushing by us.
We lost our starry notions on the way.
If, by chance, I'd see you in the tavern,
We'd smile at one another and we'd say,
Those were the days, my friend!
We thought they'd never end.
We'd sing and dance forever and a day.
We'd live the life we'd choose.
We'd fight and never lose.
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days!
Di di di di

Just tonight, I stood before the tavern.
Nothing seemed the way it used to be.
In the glass, I saw a strange reflection.
Was that lonely woman really me?

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we'd choose
We'd fight and never lose
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days!
Di di di di

Through the door, there came familiar laughter.
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend, we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts, the dreams are still the same.
Those were the days, my friend!
We thought they'd never end.
We'd sing and dance forever and a day.
We'd live the life we'd choose.
We'd fight and never lose.
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days!
Di di di di  [big finish!]