[Spridgets] Alternator Question

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Thu Dec 6 09:17:33 MST 2007

>I am sure this is a silly question, but I will ask anyway. What is the
>plastice like piece attached to the alternator and can it be replaced. The
>one I have feels loose on the alternator and my red light seems to keep
>going on (79 midget), I am guessing that is the culprit...

John,
You can expect the red light to come on when you start the car and to
flicker whenever the engine is under 1100rpm or so. Are you referring to the
plastic cap on the back of the alternator? Just a shield to the best of my
knowledge. Might be a good idea to replace the brushes and tighten up the
electrical connections, too. Take pictures BEFORE you disconnect anything in
there. There are at least three different standards involved and you will be
much better off if you can look at how yours was than trying to make sense
of multiple answers from us ;-)

If you go to http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/ and hit the "Spanners" link on the
left, you can work your way through to some very good info on
trouble-shooting your alternator.
David Lieb