[Spridgets] Vaccum Advance..

Chris King cbking at alum.rpi.edu
Mon Dec 3 17:27:54 MST 2007

John,

Haynes is OK for most stuff, but for this emissions detail, I find it
falls short. You really need to get the Bentley reprint of the factory
manual. Moss, VB, and several vendors on this list can hook you up.

Now, if your '79 is still pretty much stock, the vacuum can on the
distributor is actually a vacuum RETARD, not advance. What it does is
retard the timing for better emissions.  This si why the timing spec for
the late 1500 is 2* ATDC.

That said, the first thing to do is make sure the components involved
are actually working. After all this time, the EGR valve could be choked
with carbon, and the vacuum umit on the dizzy may have a split
diaphragm. Apply vacuum to the EGR and see if the diap[hragm/needle
moves. Same with the dizzy, though you'll have to openit up to see if
the arm from the vacuum retard unit moves.

I've attached for you (the list won't get it) a scan of the emissions
hose page for a '79 California Midget - it should be closer to what you
need. It's out of the Bentley book.

DO you have to get your car through an emissions inspection? If not, you
may want to just remove any inoperative components. We can help you out
with that if you want to go that rpute.

Hope this helps.

-=Chris

Chris King