[Spridgets] valve guides

Andy Webster a_d_webster at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 27 20:28:12 MDT 2007

They were there when i pulled it apart, and I remember them being in my 1098 bottom end too.
  Thumbnail sized and shaped, supposed to be bent over the bolt head after torquing the bolt.
  I bought 2 types from 2 stores, 1 was symmetrical, 1 was not symmetrical, both sucked. The material is too soft, and the holes drilled too close to the straight edge so it cant butt up against the flat edge of the bearing cap when the bolt is in place... meaning that one tiny corner of the tab bears all the rotational force of torquing the bolt, and eventually folds up, allowing the tab to rotate with the bolt and causing much swearing and annoyance.

  A local mini guru told me yesterday (as I was showing off my new ARP studs) that he leaves the tabs out and always uses some loctite.
  ( he has a very intereting engine project cooking at the moment.... a DOHC A-series with a choice of 8 or 16 valves)
  andy

Daniel1312 at aol.com wrote:
  I didn't think lock tabs were ever used with main bearing bolts for the reasons that you have discovered?