[Spridgets] 4 valves, 4 hands, 2 idiots

Wm. Severin Thompson wsthompson at thicko.com
Mon Aug 27 06:22:22 MDT 2007

Larry " Mr. Peepers" Daniels and I returned to his never ending attempts to
get one of his bugeyes on the road. Latest decision involves doing our own
sandblasting, and ""DA'ing" the sheet metal. We have a local guy that does
great media blasting work, but gets expensive if it has to include sand
blasting. One of the benefits of media blasting is the bare metal does not
immediately begin to rust, whereas sandblasted steel starts rusting the
moment it's blasted, requiring immediate application of epoxy primer to seal
it. Unfortunately, this western tub (former racecar) sat out in IL winters
on an open trailer, inclined in a manner that water and debris pooled in odd
places. So, it does have enough surface rust to warrant sandblasting.

So, Lar' & I once again got out the pressurized Harbor Freight sandblaster
that I got from Jacques in a car deal. We had tried it before, and it seemed
clogged. We removed all media, and checked all the valves (4) and
disassembled a couple of hoses and fittings, and still was unable to get it
to blast for more than a second. Our conclusion is the blast tip is
unsuitable for the "Black Beauty" media that I like to use. We'll search for
sand media or a different tip and see if that solves our issue.

As we tried various valve combinations (one on the nozzle, one on the inlet,
one on the siphon hose, and one on the bottom of the blaster), I'd catch
Larry pointing the nozzle at me, at him, or at something expensive. I'm
like. "hey!" Anyway, of course it was me that had his hand near the
(pressurized) air inlet when in our 21st attempt to get it all to work,
managed to sandblast the hell out of the topside of my hand. Today it looks
like I was attacked with a red spray paint can.

WST

(one of the idiots, two of the hands. one of which is rust free)

Wm. Severin Thompson

~iii<O

 <mailto:wsthompson at thicko.com> wsthompson at thicko.com

 <http://www.thicko.com/> www.thicko.com

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/png which had a name of image001.png]