[Spridgets] Removal of rear axle

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Thu Aug 23 08:40:57 MDT 2007

> The wobble, according to the mechanic, was the result of one screw
> missing and the drum screw backing out from vibration. Apparently
> that was enough to break the seal allowing gear oil into the drum.
> Hence the repair. I guess the o-ring was just a casualty of age.

Your mechanic is full of it. The lugnuts hold everything in place.
You could run without any of the other screws (as long as you
didn't take your wheel off) and not have any of that happen.
If, however, your lugnuts were not properly done up, the
other three screws are NOT adequate to the job they have
suddenly inherited and you will get your wheel wobble and
your seal violation. You caused the problem by not being
diligent when putting the tire on. It could have been worse...
have you seen the video of the RX-7 that lost all four
wheels in an autocross?
David Lieb