[Spridgets] Fuse box breaker question

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Wed Aug 15 18:04:04 MDT 2007

> On Aug 15, 2007, at 2:43 PM, derf wrote:
>> Plus, I think a 25 amp breaker would trip before a 16 ga wire
>> got hot enough to catch fire.
>

> Not true.
> I just had a fire in my attic (fire trucks and all) $10,000 in damage.
> 15 amp circuit,  new wiring, a NEW Chinese window fan quit working
> and burst into flame where the cord went into the motor.  The breaker
> didn't break until AFTER the fire started.

Fire doesn't tend to be what trips the breaker, Kevin.The house wiring
was more than up to the job in hand. You can blame poor quality wiring
in the chinese fan, but it does not affect the validity of Derf's statement.
I doubt very much that it was your new wiring, but far more likely the
windings in the motor which were far less than 16ga. Makes little
difference in your loss, however.

I think Frank might be onto something... is there still time to not buy
chinese?
David Lieb