[Spridgets] Fuse box breaker question

derf derf247 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 12:43:19 MDT 2007

On 8/15/07, Mike/Donna Carpenter <mail4carpenters at peoplepc.com> wrote:
> You can uprate the breaker often times and have no ill effect.  Often a much heavier guage of wire was used in the first place.  Analyze the wire ga - OK throw the breaker first.
>
> "too small wire = too much heat = fire" - Is your garage wired with 22 ga. wire? ;^)).
>
> MC

Thank you.  22ga, lol.
If you check you home you'll probably find the same wire size is used
for your 15 amp and 20 amp circuits.  If you house is very old, then
you may have fuses instead of breakers.  When you change the breaker
(if you do) then you'll be able to see if something less than 14 ga is
there. If so, then upgrading to a 20 amp breaker might not be a good
idea.  Plus, I think a 25 amp breaker would trip before a 16 ga wire
got hot enough to catch fire.
Cheers,
Derf