[Spridgets] Fuse box breaker question

derf derf247 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 07:07:45 MDT 2007

Hi,
There should be a rating on the compressor motor regarding amperage.
Compressor motors have a high inrush current meaning they take a lot
of amps at startup.
A single 100w incandescent draws about 1 amp.  Three fluorescents
probably draw less than 1 amp each, so figure less than 5 amps on the
circuit already.
Standard outlets are rated for 15 amps and most circuits have 15 amp
breakers.  You could just put in a larger breaker but you should
upgrade the outlet if you do.  Ideally you would want the compressor
on a dedicated breaker, probably 20 amps.
Cheers,
Derf