[Spridgets] FYI for US veterans...

Robert Bruce Evans b-evans at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 11 23:02:54 MDT 2007

Mike C wrote:  I have a question as all of this puzzles me. I have not been in the military. I am trying to get this straight in my head. In the past have you not been allowed to salute the flag? If so that sounds a bit ridiculous. I must be missing something.
Not ridiculous at all, Mike.  Few people are aware that there is a Flag Code of the United States (Title 4, United States Code, Chapter 1), and fewer still are aware of its contents.
The proper way for the military to honor the flag is render a hand salute of the right hand.  The manner prescribed for all civilians is with the right hand placed over the heart.  If a man is wearing a hat, it is with the hat placed over the heart.  Non-citizens are to simply stand at attention.  Veterans are no longer in the military, and therefore civilians obligated to honor the flag in the civilian manner.  Ironically, police, firemen, and other occupations are civilians, but have disregarded the Code's provisions and have co-opted the hand salute.
As a Navy veteran, I have always found it difficult to place my hand over my heart.  I get goose bumps and have to restrain my right hand that intuitively wants to give a hand salute instead.
Buster Evans
Watch for the 23 Great Spridget Miracle Workers in the October "Practical Classics"