[Spridgets] ZDDP

uniquelittlecars at yahoo.com uniquelittlecars at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 12:09:06 MDT 2007

Gang,

  The guy down the street works for Kandall. He told me that what Paul said is true with most of the oils for general public today. To look for comercial oils and you will find more ZDDP in those products because it is a better grade of oil over all in most cases. He said one of there products has 1500 ppm ZDDP. He did not think any one would want more then that in there car engine. He thought any thing over 1000 PPM should be enough for any old motor. Which brought up my question. What do you look for as far as PPM for ZDDP?

  Vigil

Paul Asgeirsson <PAsgeirsson at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
  >From Keith Ansell:

Pa

Ok, here's what I understand:

I'll start with the Kendall GT-1 Racing oil. Racing oils commonly have very
light buffer additive packages and are NOT good for the street unless they
are changed, in some cases, in as little as 100 miles or 30 days. They
usually will have ZDDP at about 1200 Ppm or higher. The additive packages in
a racing oil to reduce the destruction of our engines from water, acids and
particle suspension are almost non-existant. This is why with the Valvoline
VR-1 20W-50 they are adamant that 2,500 miles or one season is the MOST you
should ever run it and their oil IS formulated to be ok for the street. I
would suggest that this person addresses the Street vs. Race qualities of
this oil. I have talked to Pennzoil (Penn) and they have stated that they
have NO oil for the street. Remember the Pennzoil name is now owned by
Shell, a Dutch company.

Caterpillar oil- Again we have a formulation problem. The short idle to full
throttle cycles of automobile use, the chartaristics of diesel combustion
and the long cycles of diesel running demand a buffer/additive package that
is not correct for street or racing. I would guess that the ZDDP would be
very high in these oils and from that standpoint they may be within the
range we are looking for for this compound. The problem is nothing else in
the oil is formulated correctly for our engines.

Good thought process in both these cases but neither will do our engines any
good.
uniquelittlecars at yahoo.com

Edit your replies

http://www.team.net/archive