[Spridgets] Thread Locker on Head Studs

Hal Faulkner hal at katemuir.com
Wed Aug 8 14:08:21 MDT 2007

I suggest that youse guys look at the APT web site and read the instructions
they have for using or not using thread locker on their studs:  Use it or
not, but if you do use it make sure that you have tightened the studs to
final torque before the thread locker sets.  Otherwise the stuff can loosen
after the engine has been run for a while and release some of the
pre-tension on the studs.  'course, you're gonna re-torque them studs about
once every twenty minutes  for the first 500 miles anyway, right?  So it
really shouldn't make much difference.
BTW, APT and my machinist both say the studs should go into the block only a
little more than hand tight.  Can't remember the number, but it should be on
APT's web site....
Hal