[Spridgets] ZDDP

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Wed Aug 1 05:38:17 MDT 2007

> Hello, Anyone know what is the latest thoughts on the lack of ZDDP in
> modern oils?High cam wear and all that. I have seen articles on it both
> ways.--------Bob C in KS

The word as it filters down around here is that motor oil with a ratink of
SL or higher has virtually no ZDDP content in order to enhance catalytic
performance, etc. There are a couple oils that still have some, but it is
such a small percentage of what they used to have that it might as well not
be there at all. It is most important with a new engine, but it is still an
issue after the engine has been broken in. For no, STP oil treatment happens
to have the ZDDP additives in it, so the recommendation is to be sure to use
STP. How much longer that will go on is anybody's guess. Anybody know the
shelf life of STP?
David Lieb