[Spits] Rear End Noise.... dumb question

Doug Braun doug at dougbraun.com
Mon Jul 14 10:44:59 MDT 2014

Is this a single or erratic knock, or a continuous knock-knock-knock-knock?

Here is one way to test those U-joints:

Put the car in neutral and cost at about 25 MPG.  Do some reasonably quick
S-turns,
zig-zagging back and forth.  If the knock-knock-knock appears as you turn,
but not as you are going
straight, it could be the U-jonts.

Once I had an erratic knock back there, and it turned out to be that the
eye had broken off of one end of a rear
shock, and the end of the shock was smashing against the mounting stud
every time I went over a bump.
This was a bummer, since the car still had the original DeCarbon shocks,
which had been in perfect working order.
I tried a couple of different types of replacements, but the originals were
better than any of them.

Doug