[Spits] Black rear panel?

Andrew S. Mace zoboherald at aol.com
Fri Jul 6 16:14:43 MDT 2012

Doug, this is only my theory, based on observations and experiences. Over the
years, I've encountered a fair number of 1972 model year Spitfires, all
original including paint (several that a friend and I bought and parted out,
and one that I worked on for many years for a friend). All of them had the
black panel. Near as I could tell, it was something likely done stateside,
perhaps at the distributor level. Interestingly enough on all of these cars,
removing the taillamp units showed body color paint underneath, hence my
assumption that it was done well after the cars were assembled and left the
factory.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us