[Spits] Spit O/D Issues

Mack, Michael (Rochester) Michael.Mack at redcross.org
Mon Apr 9 06:43:16 MDT 2012

I just replaced the clutch (3 piece AP kit) on my 79 Spitfire over the
weekend.  The tranny went back in successfully, and it now shifts into first.
(fingers in the clutch cover were worn and bent).

My question:
The Tranny has O/D and it worked fine last year before I took out the Tranny.
I also changed the oil with GL1 Ford Tractor oil.  And replaced the rear
engine seal and horseshoe gasket, while I was in there.
Issue:  The O/D switch doesn't engage anymore on 3 or 4th gear.  I need to
trace the wires against a wiring diagram (I think there is one on the
Spitfires & GT6 site), but I think they went back together correctly.  Is
there a way to test the solenoid without damaging it?  Any other things to
check out?
I put 25 miles on the car yesterday, and really miss the O/D !!

Thanks in advance.

Mike Mack  Rochester, NY
79 Spit
80 TR8