[Spits] A trip to Wisconsin - radio wiring?

Joe Curry spitlist at cox.net
Wed Jul 29 09:04:50 MDT 2009

Radio wiring is fairly simple.  There is an accessory terminal on the
ignition switch that will provide power in both the On and accessory
positions so you can run the radio even when the car is not running.  That
is where you want to put the radio power wire.

The speaker wiring is straight forward.  Most radios have both the hot and
return wires provided.  If yours has only the hot side, you can put the
speaker's negative side to ground.

The only other thing to consider is if you are installing a modern radio,
you will probably have to provide an "always on" power source which is
necessary for keeping the radio presets (Stations and clock) energized.  It
will be a constant battery drain but not sufficient to really worry about.

Some modern radios also provide a wire to control electric antennas.  If
yours has this and you don't have an electric antenna, disregard that wire.

Joe