[Spits] Rear Suspension Question

ccullen16 at cogeco.ca ccullen16 at cogeco.ca
Mon Jul 6 10:58:58 MDT 2009

I have recently tackled rebuilding the rear suspension of my 74 spitfire when it became apparent that the rear passenger
side bearing was in need of replacement. I have purchased the necessary parts to rebuild and I am waiting on their
arrival. Unfortunately, in the process of removing one of the hub flanges I inadvertently damaged one of hub flanges (I
had the right tool to pull, but in my ignorance didn't back out the nut enough holding the hub flange on). This prompted
me to source out a used replacement, which I was surprisingly able to do in my own town. In addition, to the replacement
used hub flange. I was also able to locate two complete used hub assemblies. Over the weekend I had planned to put these
two complete units in my car with my thinking being that over the winter I would replace these used units with the
rebuilt ones from the new parts and the ones that need replacement. Unfortunately, I realized (after much work) that the
flange on the u-joint of the used unit I obtained is not the same size as the one that was on there (the used units are
from a 67 Spitfire). Needless to say this was pretty disappointing. I was curious/wondering (prior to putting more
effort into these used units) if it is possible to exchange the flanges on the two units? I have tried to remove the
flange from the u-joint on one of the assemblies from the 74 spitfire, but have been unsuccessful.  So, I guess my
question would be:

1) Can I exchange the flanges i.e. will my bigger flange from my 74 spitfire fit/work on the 67 hub assembly?
2) Is there some type of secret of how to disassemble (and then reassemble) the u-joint that holds the flange on. As an
FYI I did utilize a method I researched online (using a vise and two different sized sockets) and I have moved one of
the cups out of the yoke, but I can't seem to disengage the bearing cup out of the yoke (prior to utilizing "irish
persuasion" in its removal I thought wise to ask here first).

Thanks,

Jim Cullen