[Spits] [TR] Broke the GT6+

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sun Aug 9 16:56:05 MDT 2009

On 9 Aug 2009 at 17:16, TR250Driver at aol.com wrote:

> after some consideration I decided that the rotoflex axle would be
> a pain to remove to properly install the u-joint w/o that special
> Churchill tool required to support the spring load even if I towed
> it back to TRF.

Glad you got the car back on the road and no serious harm was done.
You're lucky the free inner end didn't bang around and break
something, though I guess the frame elements there don't let it
contact much that is breakable.

I don't understand the bit about a Churchill tool and spring load.  I
honestly can't recall whether I've ever pulled the GT6 rear apart but
I think I have because I remember clearly the six diff studs compared
to the Spitfire's four.  I have certainly pulled the Spitfire apart
several times.  I can't see any reason why removing the halfshaft and
hub as a unit from a GT6 should be all that different if all you need
is access to the u-joint at the inner end.  What's the issue?

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+