[Spits] the GT6 gearbox

Doug Braun doug at dougbraun.com
Wed Nov 19 09:10:20 MST 2008

The key part is the special heavy snap ring that holds all the stuff on the mainshaft.  You need to be able to get the old one off without gouging anything, and get the new one on without bending or over-stressing it.  I have successfully done this a couple of times- you need a good selection of pliers and prying tools, and patience.  Order 2 or 3 of the rings!

I rebuilt my first Spit gearbox using only a Haynes manual.  It gave me all the information I needed.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit