[Spits] Spitfires Digest, Vol 2, Issue 203

Doug Braun doug at dougbraun.com
Fri Dec 19 07:16:00 MST 2008

This is where the "dummy shaft trick" will help out:

First get a wood or plastic shaft the same diameter as the
real countershaft, and a wee bit shorter then the cluster gear.

Then fit the needles to each end of the cluster gear, using vaseline or grease to hold them in place.

Then put the dummy shaft in the cluster, to firmly hold the needles in place.

Then drop the cluster gear into the case.

Finally, when it is time to slide in the layshaft, it will push the dummy shaft out the other end, and the needles will stay where they belong.

I still have my dummy shaft (a piece of dowel) that I made up about 16 years ago.

Doug