[Spits] GT6 gearbox progress

Doug Braun doug at dougbraun.com
Tue Dec 16 22:13:09 MST 2008

Your box is definitely different than a Spitfire transmission.  For example, the Spitfire version definitely does not have that 3-spring thing you mentioned.

Have a look at the parts diagrams at spitbits.com to see if they match what you have.

Check that the 1-2 slider fits and slides nicely on its hub, and that the little springs and balls are OK.  When I got my Spit, it turned out that those parts had been improperly hardened at the factory, and they were very worn.  The slider was basically flopping around on its hub.

Did you use the dummy shaft trick to remove the laygear without getting those little needles all over the place?  And don;t forget the grease trick when re-installing them...

Good luck,

Doug