[Spits] Recommendations: dash / body parts / welding equipments: 64 Spit

Mike Welch spitfire at freebacon.net
Mon Aug 11 19:41:09 MDT 2008

www.spitbits.com
www.victoriabritish.com
www.theroadsterfactory.com

These are the big three in my book for replacement parts.  Moss is good for
'universal' parts, but they don't have any info on round-tails.
  I can try scanning my dash panels, the center bit is the same on your '64
and my '69, but the actual gauge placement will vary.  The schematic on the
sites above will give you a good idea on how they are laid out.
  I found a cheap welder for ~100.  I got mine from Harbor Freight, but
Wal-Mart had one on the shelf that would do the job for under $100.  I'm not
a welder, but it didn't take too long to get the hang of it.  Just take it
slow, tack down corners, etc.  I highly recommend an auto-darkening helmet,
it makes it much easier if you can see your work before doing anything.
When replacing the sills, be sure to support the car, the sill provides a
lot of support to prevent the cab from buckling.
http://www.classic-car-magazine.co.uk/spitrest/spitfire-sill-replacement.html
will be a good read.  Also,
http://www.amazon.com/Restore-Classic-Bodywork-Enthusiasts-Restoration/dp/1903706629/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218505039&sr=8-1
covers most of what you're going to run in to, and it uses a Spitfire for
the instructions.

Mike Welch
'69 Spitfire x 2
'69 Honda SL350