[Spits] Stainless test

Bill Gingerich bill at gingerich.us
Wed Aug 6 15:37:25 MDT 2008

When I originally made the magnet suggestion last Monday, I wasn't sure if
it would work.  The stainless that I've had the chance to hit with a magnet
haven't been magnetic, so I figured it was worth a shot.  The last
metallurgy class I took was almost 30 years ago, and my memory is showing
signs of fading. (grin)

The idea for stainless exhaust valves came from a conversation I had with
the engine shop doing my Spitfire 1500 rebuild in 2002.  They suggested
stainless exhaust valves as part of making the engine happy with no lead
fuel.  Since Spitbits offers stainless valves, I bought 4 and let the engine
guys do their thing.  As several previous posts have pointed out, given the
low mileage most Triumphs get, making a special point of reworking the head
probably isn't needed.

BillG
Newalla, OK