[Spits] Introduction to Lizzie, my 1965 Spitfire, newly acquired

Mike Vasquez mike.vasquez at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 10:56:46 MDT 2008

I've posted a few messages over the last few weeks, and wanted to thank
everyone for their very helpful responses.

My first spitfire (sadly, sitting in a pasture in Arkansas with no way for
me to get it back here to Arizona) was a '75.  It was in primer, but
running, when I bought it in 1990 for $900.  It was as reliable as lucas
electronics allow, and after a bit of frustration, I took it all apart,
cleaned it all up, painted it, and put it back together.  Then, I went back
to college, it got in the way at the parents, and now sits at my sisters
farm.

However, yesterday, I purchased a new spitfire.  It's a 1965 (not a 62 like
the owner originally thought).  The owner was a gem though, and I enjoyed
meeting her and her husband.  They own a little shop in Flagstaff, Arizona.
I only had 1 picture from her, but drove up yesterday morning, and took
several more -- they'll be posted later.  I sent a picture out to the list,
but it's far from the whole story.  The car is much more complete than the
picture shows.  She took out all the boxes so I got a good look for rust,
etc.  The rocker panels on each side have a lot of rust, and have rusted
through, but the floor boards and everything else look great, and the body
is otherwise very solid.

The bumpers are there, as well as the grill, and headlight trim.  The car
does have the seat frames and the convertible top bow, interior handles, and
some of the trim -- I haven't had time to go through all the boxes, but
that's what I spotted so far.  The engine looks very complete as well.  We
agreed on a price of $700.  She'd had a previous offer last summer for $1500
from a fellow who wanted to strip her for parts, but she really wanted to
see it on the road again.

The goal is to have it running for my son when he turns 16 (5 years).
Sooner is always better!  It'll be a driver, as I believe these cars were
meant to be driven -- nothing against the folks who like show cars (which I
love to look at as well), but I want to enjoy 'em behind the wheel.

So, as soon as I get time, I'll be posting pics, asking more questions, and
getting her up and running.  I'm not terribly experience, but looking
forward to getting my hands wonderfully dirty.  Willing to trade IT help for
your mechanical knowledge!  Would love to network with anyone in the Phoenix
area as well.  I'm in Gilbert.

Looking forward to getting back in the community!

Mike Vasquez
"Sanchez" -- 1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500
"Lizzie" -- 1965 Triumph Spitfire 4, Mk II (I think that's noted right!)