[Spits] 79 Spitfire with SU carbs

Paul Meyer paulfmeyer at msn.com
Wed Jun 27 11:56:39 MDT 2007

Several years ago I swapped carbs on my '78.
Similar fuel problems resulted, which were eventually identified as being
caused by the new carb requiring less fuel pressure.  Idle was ok, but as
soon as I increased rpm or fiddled with the choke, it would roughen or
stall.  I too replaced the fuel pump, but that only made things worse.

I put in a cheap, in-line fuel pressure regulator, and got some improvement,
but the cheap regulator caused flow problems in high rev conditions.

Ultimately, I put in a higher quality fuel pressure regulator, and that
solved it.

Paul F. Meyer

Home Phone:    781-551-8574
Cell Phone:       781-801-3170