[Shop-talk] password lmanager software

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Jul 5 22:15:59 MDT 2024

As a heads-up, the upcoming standard for online security is/is going to
be passkeys. I haven't completely wrapped my head around the technology,
but the gist is a) the passkey is linked to a website, and should
prevent logging into a spoofed/counterfeit site and b) it's secure,
encrypted and uses a public/private key exchange. After the passkey is
established your facescan, fingerprint or passcode would be sufficient
to log onto enabled sites.

It's already available on some Microsoft, Apple and Google hardware
(probably others). Note I'm not advocating for this--at least not until
I totally understand it--but it's coming. Note also that there has been
a new password hack; supposedly 10 billion passwords are available in
cleartext for anybody that wants them (for a price, I presume).

https://safety.google/authentication/passkey/

https://www.tomsguide.com/computing/online-security/nearly-10-billion-passwords-stolen-by-hackers-how-to-protect-yourself