[Shop-talk] Inexpensive OBD-II Scanner

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Feb 3 20:10:08 MST 2024

Another option, popular with the young'ns--is FORScan (pronounced
'foreskin' or so I'm told). It's a Windows app suitable for a laptop and
pretty comprehensive.  S/W is free/shareware, but a license opens doors.
It's written by Russians, I believe (so far my laptop hasn't tried to
invade my neighbors). I bought it to diagnose a no-start on my Lincoln,
which ended-up being caused by a dead fuel pump, which didn't throw a
code (you'd think it would have thrown 'low fuel pressure,' but I got it
by process of elimination) . It can modify some pretty obscure
parameters. You need a dongle, of course, this one is recommended:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081VQVD3F/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A1C2436WDJ39HA&psc=1