[Shop-talk] Dead battery question

old dirtbeard dirtbeard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 16:42:38 MST 2023

Agreed, as well. I can tell the difference between an MG TC, TD, TF, or a
Triumph TR2, TR3, TR4, etc. from across the street.

Nowadays, I cannot even tell the difference between a Kia and a BMW, sad to
say...

But, yes, the spark plugs on new cars last 100K miles, there is not a
grease zerk to be found. Exhaust systems, starters, alternators, water
pumps also generally are good for 100K miles.

These all were routine maintenance items in the past. No points, timing or
carburetors to adjust on the new cars...

That much said, changing the spark plugs on a MG TF is a great deal easier
than changing the sparkplugs on a coil over spark plug on a turbo 4.

A friend of mine just accidentally dropped a spark into the engine bay of
his 2019 C7 Corvette and it did not come out the bottom, but it had a
pronounced harmonic rattle at about 2,500 RPM that was driving him crazy.

We had to put it on my lift and use a borescope for about 45 minutes to
locate the spark plug (it had wedged in the collector of the exhaust
headers),and then another 15 minutes to fabricate an "extractor" out of
welding rod and fish it out.

I had a Triumph TR6 that the shop manual called for replacing
the crankshaft main bearings at 50K miles *as routine maintenance.*

As shocking as that sounds for routine maintenance, you actually could
change the main bearings in that car just by dropping the oil pan,
releasing the main bearing bolts. removing the caps, and pushing out the
old shells with the new shells. It really only took a couple hours to do it.

It took longer to adjust the valves on the DOHC shimmed engine of a Fiat
124 Spyder that I had. :-)

The mechanical tolerances on the new cars are so much tighter and many of
the materials are superior as well. Of course much of these improved
tolerances and reduced maintenance is an artifact of the emission
standards that went into place 30 years ago and have been increasing (e.g.,
the exhaust and induction systems have to last a set number of years and a
set number of miles)

Yes, definitely more maintenance is required for the older vehicles, but
also it generally is much easier/quicker maintenance. And I would also say,
more enjoyable...  :-)

best,

doug