[Shop-talk] Hydraulic Jack Diagnosis

Donald H Locker dhlocker at protonmail.com
Sun May 22 12:17:43 MDT 2022

That's an odd set of symptoms. An inability to raise a load sounds like
air in the hydraulic system. Leaking seals or valves would cause a load
to drop with oil passing through the seal/valve.

With no load, the air pressure doesn't collapse the bubble so the jack
rises; but with a load, any pressure collapses the bubble instead of
raising the load. The fact that it holds after it was raised supports
this hypothesis.

I think just opening the oil filler screw (and maybe topping the oil)
will fix it.

HTH,
Donald.