[Shop-talk] Cleaning an oil tank

David Scheidt dmscheidt at gmail.com
Thu May 19 08:09:43 MDT 2022

> On May 19, 2022, at 07:47, eric at megageek.com wrote:
>
> Hey gang, it's been quite here lately.
>
> I have a 275 gal oil tank that I use for diesel fuel for my tractors.
>
> It got the bio-sludge in it.  I have removed all the oil (there was only a little left in it.)
>
> What is the best way to clean this?  Should I light a fire it in?  Water?  simple green?

Mechanical removal is the only way to deal with build up luke that.  An air powered vac is best, assuming the tank doesn’t have access covers, to reach through. Once you get most of it, you can put diesel in, and polish it. (Recirculating pump with good filters. )
There are services that do this commercially, if you would prefer to buy yourself out of the problem.

Using water to clean it will generate huge amounts of contaminated waste water.

The anti sludge addives work going forward.