[Shop-talk] Bear proof bird feeder.

Peter J. Thomas pj_thomas at comcast.net
Mon Mar 28 12:29:08 MDT 2022

I have a bird feeder on a post made out of galvanized iron pipe. Bear
keeps bending it to the ground and I keep bending it back. Tired of this
routine so I plan on making a bear/squirrel proof bird feeder.  I
ordered a 7.5'x3" aluminized steel 16 gauge exhaust pipe (required shop
content for this post).  I'll dig down about a foot to bedrock.  Cement
the pipe to the bedrock and fill the pipe with cement, kinda like a
lolly column.  I'm pretty sure this will be strong enough to resist the
bear, unless he brings his brother, and thick enough that the squirrels
can't climb it.

On top of this I plan to make and weld a bid feeder but not sure what
thickness of steel to used.  Once complete I'll paint paint auto paint.
Any insights?  Thanx