[Shop-talk] Password management -- was HP M110we printer drivers

alfuller194 at gmail.com alfuller194 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 12:20:50 MDT 2022

Well, I just looked in my password manager and I have a similar number of passwords. It looks like about 420 at current count, so I use a password manager program. Currently I use LastPass – using the premium version so I can get access on both mobile and desktop. I may be migrating to BitWarden this year, after giving it a trial period running alongside the other.

The two main advantages I see are [1] I only have to remember a single [long, complex] master password, as opposed to trying to remember various for each site, and [2] the software generates long, random passwords that are near-impossible to break – especially when each site gets its own password [and soon, maybe random generated usernames, too]. A sample password would be “  No8U6T#r3 at nEEsjvlQrknCwJfUGD   ”.  It would take until the end of the universe using current computing to brute force that!

With individual, complex passwords I am more secure knowing that when some company I do business with gets hacked, all I have to change is the single password they have – as opposed to trying to figure out which other sites I used the same password on.

All the best,

Al Fuller